The week that went so fast...


The word "busy" is a bit overused these days I reckon, but I will admit that it was a very "full and varied" week for us! I was looking forward to today and thinking of the sewing I need to do, that great looking cook book I got from the library I haven't had time to browse, and of course, I could warp up the loom ready for a new project. The reality of the day has been taxiing my son to kung fu, walking the dog (well that was relaxing at least!), shopping, laundry work and cooking up huge batches of bolognaise and stew for next week, which also promises to be very "full".


I started to reflect, in my tired and slightly overworked state, that I didn't give enough time to the kids this week, I didn't get to help my son with that maths he's been asking me about, didn't get time for much reading with the girls, didn't get to do much preparation for my daughter's up and coming First Holy Communion… 


But then I had a little reality check, that is that God was so good to tap me on the shoulder and say "wake up and check the facts". I was really busy this week, it's true, but what was it that kept me so occupied? 
My vocation of course!
A wife, a mother, this is my vocation and this is what I do. I may not have been able to do everything that I thought was necessary, but it was because I was actively caring for my family and home, something that takes a lot of time and work. 
I thought of my future self, when the children are grown and making their own way in the world. Will they say "Mum, thank you for making us study so hard, I feel so much smarter for it". Is that what I want to hear?
Or would something like: "Mum, thank you for your constant love, care and sacrifice. Thank you for letting us be children, for enriching our lives, for being fun, for passing on our beautiful faith by your example" be more pleasing to my ageing ears?

Bring on next week!

4 comments:

Sue Elvis said...

Kelly,

Such a good post. Sometimes we spend so much time thinking about what we haven't done, we don't see all the wonderful things we have achieved. Yes, our weeks don't always go to plan, but they are always full and rich. Thanks for the reminder! I hope you have a good week!

Nanna Chel said...

Kelly, life with children often never goes to plan and it is such a busy time especially with all the running them here and there but I am sure you wouldn't have it any other way ;-)

Kelly Casanova said...

I hope you do too Sue :)

Kelly Casanova said...

You're right Nanna Chel, I absolutely would not!

This blog is closing!

All posts will now be found at my new site.  Click here to go the the new site.