Opportunity

I saw a video the other day that gladdened my heart. When I see homeschool graduates becoming successful (and by success I mean following their dreams and passions) I feel happy and at peace with what we're doing with our kids.

In the video, Jon talks about being able to take advantage of opportunities in a way that wouldn't have been possible if he had been sitting in a school room. Homeschooling freed him to be able to follow his passion. I love that. 


I've realised, particularly recently how blessed our children are to have such a unique opportunity. So many people think that homeschooled kids are missing out and that is so far from the truth. 


Our almost 14 year old son loves photography (among his many other interests). There are very few photo opportunities where we live, so I am committed to travelling to picturesque places to boost his inspiration. Yesterday we went to these beautiful botanical gardens (during school hours of course) in freezing cold and drizzly weather. We had the whole place to ourselves.


He got to try out things he has been learning about, like how to photograph moving water.


While the girls played forest pixies inside a massive redwood.

He is also currently doing cooking classes with Jamie's Ministry of Food - once again, during school hours.  This is indulging and encouraging his interest in cooking.

There is so much to learn, love and do in this wonderful life we've been given!

Here is the link to the video:






4 comments:

Nanna Chel said...

Kelly, I have known lots of families that have homeschooled and the children have done extremely well...without exception. I have always been very impressed.

The Seven Seasons said...

Hi Kelly, I love reading about your homeschooling journey. Last year my 7yo old told his teacher that he had been thinking of being home schooled so he might not be in her class much longer. She laughingly told me and scoffed she knew I wouldn't be able. It is something that I have started to research and I love hearing other peoples stories.
Allie

Sue Elvis said...

Kelly,

I love watching my children follow their passions. I am always amazed what children can achieve when they have the freedom and opportunity to explore their own ideas.

Your son is doing so well with his photography. I haven't taken any photos for a couple of weeks. I have a new lens I was given for my birthday. It's a wide angled one. I am looking forward to experimenting with it!

Kelly Casanova said...

Sounds interesting Sue, can't wait to see some of your new photos :)

This blog is closing!

All posts will now be found at my new site.  Click here to go the the new site.