"Can you find Saints" book review

I purchased this book by Philip D. Gallery recently after reading about it on Catholic Icing. I wasn't sure what to expect other than a "Where's Wally" style fun book.

But it's much more than that.

Not just a fun book but an educational tool that doesn't feel like education. It's a chance to reinforce the saints you already know and read small snippets of those you may not know so well. The short readings on the saints to be found really make this a multi age book. For younger children, you can read briefly to them about each saint before they get to spot them in the pictures. For middle children who can read, it can be read together and the saints can be found together. And for older kids, it's a brief, fun picture book that teaches them something. Each of my children (aged 4, 6, 8 and 13) enjoyed this book and are asking for the other books in the series.

Something I like about the book is that it can be used as a tool for further discussion and research. Besides the saints who are described and that you search for, there are many, many other saints in every picture and they are labelled with their names (there a quite a few that I haven't heard of!) There are also optional extras to find on each page for children who really like to search and find.

As my husband pointed out to me, when you look at the "Where's Wally" books, although they are clever and entertaining, they often make light (a mockery even?) of horrific historical events. It is refreshing to find a book that is completely good for a child, faith enriching, educational and fun! 

I highly recommend this book for children of all ages :)


If you click on this link to purchase the book you will be blessing me and my family with a small percentage of the total sale, thank you.

No comments:

This blog is closing!

All posts will now be found at my new site.  Click here to go the the new site.