Completed watercolours

Yes, I've been painting again and I must confess I'm loving it!



This is a first attempt at a wet on wet background wash. I need practice with this technique but I'm pretty pleased with the overall result. I worked from a photo I took one summer out the front of our suburban house. The sunset was so beautiful and created a silhouette of the foliage and utility lines. I used a little ink here and there to highlight.


I used a photo I took at the Melbourne Zoo Butterfly House as inspiration for this one. I like the butterfly but am not really happy with the rest, once again, I need practice.

 Both were worked on A4 300 gsm paper using watercolour paints, watercolour pencils and ink.

Would love to hear your thoughts/ opinions!



6 comments:

softearthart said...

Both are really good, I always have the idea, the more you do of something the better you get. cheers Marie

Therese said...

Wow Kelly. They are both great. I especially love the sunset one.

CurlyPops said...

Gorgeous! I particularly love the top one.

quilary said...

I'm in awe of your ability! They are both lovely - but the sunset is stunning - it "feels" right, with proportions and thirds and heights and the colours of the sunset are beautiful!

Nell said...

Oh, I like the butterfly (only because I've always thought power lines are such an ugly neccesity even with a pretty sunset behind them LOL!)
You are really good at this! I haven't painted in years and just don't feel the compulsion to get back to it.

Becky said...

I love the butterfly, both are beautiful. I have no artistic talent at all so I am envious.

This blog is closing!

All posts will now be found at my new site.  Click here to go the the new site.