Homeschooling makes Mum smarter too!

I'm very often asked whether, as a homeschooling Mum, I am a qualified teacher. My reply is usually along the unpopular lines of "I believe every parent is qualified to teach his/her child". Which is usually met with a blank stare, followed by a polite if not bewildered "oh".

The truth of the matter is that I am a university dropout who wasn't particularly academic at school. I put in the effort, but didn't get the grades.

Since I started homeschooling I've realised how much I don't know and how much of the drivel I was taught at school was incorrect, hypothetical and (in my opinion) stupid! Homeschooling is like being given a second chance at learning. Even though you are the teacher you are learning and revising at the same time and it's a wonderful thing. It makes me a more effective teacher because I am a genuinely interested student.

If you have considered homeschooling but don't think you have the smarts I recommend to give yourself a chance, and with the right resources and attitude, you can do it!

3 comments:

Bearly Sane said...

I found the same thing going back to school as an adult ... your whole perspective has changes once you're over puberty!! (for some - usually males - it lasts longer) LOL!!

Warmest Hugs,
Sandi @ Bearly Sane

Antique Rose Designs said...

I don't know much about home schooling sounds like you are really enjoying it and I admire that you have the patience to do it. When my kids do their homework I learn alot of things that I didn't learn when I was at school. Take care Carol

Therese said...

My husband is a teacher. He got a bachelor degree from UniSA but the real learning for him was in the classroom.

This blog is closing!

All posts will now be found at my new site.  Click here to go the the new site.