My dear old Nanna

They don't make them like this anymore!

My Nanna, who is in her early 80's lives in another state so we don't see each other very often.  We do, however,  exchange letters frequently. After sending off my latest letter to her a couple of weeks ago I received a card from her today.
Here is a section of the writing:

"Hope you will be able to read this as I have managed to get shingles on the left side of my face and my eye has completely closed. Things seem to be blurred, but here goes".

She then goes on to tell me of the long anticipated hip operation she has booked for next month, and finishes with:

"Sorry I can't write more, but will again when I feel up to it.


Love Nanna xxxxxx"

Boy, does this make my heart swell! This woman who lost her husband 35 years ago to cancer, has endured cancer and partial bowel removal and other constant health setbacks without complaint, has worked tirelessly for her community and with whom some of my happiest childhood times were spent is an absolute marvel. Such is her care and courtesy in writing me a letter when she is so unwell and she even included a newspaper article she thought would interest me.

God bless her!

7 comments:

Gilly said...

Isnt that so lovely - sounds like a special woman :)

Karen said...

How lovely to have someone like that in your life.
There's nothing quite like a letter in the mail to brighten up your day.

Bianca Jae Makes Stuff said...

Little tear in my eye :'( I am still lucky enough to have all my grandparents. And they too still write and ring when they can. And both my grandmothers send little clips from the newspaper! Gosh I love them! Hope your nanna recovers quickly xox

posie blogs Jennie McClelland said...

OH you're so lucky to still have her with you!! Always amazes me how they go on without their much loved husband, incredible!! She was so young to be a widow.
Got to love their newspaper clippings, fabulous, love Posie

Tonya Gunn said...

Oh.. I just wrote on my to-do list for today to write to my Nana. She is also in her 80s and lives far from us and struggles with constant pain...
Thank you for sharing about your Nana.
Warm wishes, Tonya

Unknown said...

thanks for sharing ...

Gill - That British Woman said...

that makes me wish my Nana's were alive.......you are so lucky.

Gill

This blog is closing!

All posts will now be found at my new site.  Click here to go the the new site.