The Farm

I took a few pictures at the farm to share with you. This house was built by my father-in-law's parents in 1915. He has lived and worked there his entire life.


I was speaking to my mother-in-law about the fact that I never appreciated the land as I do now (having also lived in this area from the age of 12 - 18). She said that when she married and came to live here as a young woman, having lived in Ballarat all her life she missed her original home. One day a visitor pointed out the colours of the various crops (wheat, canola and others) and how vibrant they were. She says now, at the age of 78 that she thinks it's the "most beautiful place on earth".


They had 10 children. I was lucky enough to marry one of them.



I have spent so much time on the farm it is like a second home. It has been a refuge in times of turmoil and I'm eternally grateful to my "other parents" for their kindness to me as an unhappy teenager seeking purpose to my life.


The garden still survives the long and unpredictable drought.





The chooks are always happy, healthy and producing new life and food to nourish.





Times have changed and things are different at the farm now, but I will always hold it dearly in my heart.





4 comments:

Rose and Ivy said...

Thanks for sharing-- it looks like a gorgeous place!

zofia said...

Ahh, it looks so peaeful! Thanks for sharing your precious place.

Gill - That British Woman said...

what a super post and such lovely photos...

Gill in Canada

Corrie said...

gorgeous!!!! did you marry a good catholic boy too then? My hubby was one of 7 so I think your hubby beats him as one of 10!!!!!

Corrie:)

This blog is closing!

All posts will now be found at my new site.  Click here to go the the new site.